Friday, January 16, 2009

Dreaming of Florida...

At 3pm when I drove out to pick up Maggie from school, the temperature gauge in my car registered a very cold 24 degrees.  I was in Florida last week with our little bunch and the weather was perfect (well, except for one rather rainy and damp day;  can't have everything now, can we?).  The temps there were 70-80 degrees with some of the most gorgeous blue skies I have ever seen and sunshine a-plenty.  

We spent most of our trip at Disney's Magic Kingdom, which happened to still be very much in the holiday spirit the first day we visited... it was glorious! 

the covered portico where you can wait for the train or watch the parade roll by


one of the many decorated lamp posts on Main Street, USA


oh, christmas tree!



On trips past, we have stayed at the Disney Boardwalk.  This time we decided to switch things up a bit (because we are nutty like that) and we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.  I loved it- it was so rustic and our stay made me feel a bit nostalgic for childhood vacations to the Adirondack Mountains in New York State.  




We had a wonderfully relaxing week and discovered that it is indeed possible to return home from your Disney Vacation without feeling like you need another vacation just to rest.  We arrived late Monday afternoon and spent Tuesday at the Magic Kingdom. Wednesday was a designated "sick day" for our crew- Maggie and Lydia both woke with fevers and nasty coughs.  This actually worked in our favor because this was the aforementioned rainy and damp day.  It was also Maggie's birthday though, so it was unfortunate that she felt so yuck that day, but we made the best of it and I think she enjoyed her big day (she turned 6!).  We ordered room service for dinner and had cupcakes from the bakery for dessert.  Lydia and I shopped in the gift shop for her presents- a pretty little charm necklace and a small Minnie Mouse plush toy- dressed as Sleeping Beauty.  

One terrific advantage of staying at the Wilderness Lodge is that you are a short boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.  We had planned it this way- we knew ahead of time most of our trip would be spent there.  Thursday, once everybody was feeling better after their day of rest, we headed back to the Magic Kingdom for more fun.  This was the last day of our vacation... and we had a great time.  

I think we learned this trip that it really isn't necessary to "do it all" during your stay with the mouse.  We approached our day at a nice, leisurely pace and I think it certainly paid off at the end of the week.  The kids were all in great spirits during our stay- I have to brag and let everyone know that we didn't experience one meltdown.  Not a one.  Promise.  And I think it was because we weren't rushing around like our lives depended on it, trying to get every last bit of Disney World in, hoping that it would satisfy us until our next trip.  We did skip over a few favorite rides- Peter Pan comes to mind- but you know what?  Peter Pan will be there next time.  Promise.  

No comments: