
Dearest Jack,
One year ago today I was approximately 38 weeks pregnant with you. It was Saturday, October 13, and your beloved grandmother had taken your two big sisters for the day so that your father and I could rest. I had not been sleeping well and if I wasn't sleeping, well, then neither was your father. I still had a little less than 1 week to go- I had been instructed to be at the hospital the morning of Friday, October 19, for my scheduled c-section. Little did I know...
One year ago today your grandmother presented me with a gift when she delivered your sisters back to us that afternoon- a beautiful gold picture frame holding a vintage drawing of a stork with a baby blue sack in his beak. Just a short time before, for the first time in 3 pregnancies, I looked at my ripe belly and spoke to the person inside: "It's okay, we are ready. You can come out now." Your cradle was waiting, blankets and onesies freshly washed; I was ready. Little did I know you were such an obedient little guy, anxious to find out what all the riff raff was about out here. Just a short 6 hours later...
One year ago today the contractions started. And this time, instead of slowing down and spacing out, they did something different. They became faster and more intense with each wave. Phone calls were made to the doctor, to your grandparents, and I, for the first time in 3 pregnancies, looked at my ripe belly and said: "It's time".
One year ago today I was in labor.
But it wasn't until very early the next morning that we would meet you...
No comments:
Post a Comment